Practising Diversity and Inclusion as a cleaning company
Our D&I Council was formed in 2021, and council members meet monthly to brainstorm ways to make NuServe a better and more inclusive place to work. Collectively, the council overcomes issues on site and sets the agenda for our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion calendar.
Our D&I Council exists to give our staff a place to voice their ideas and issues around inclusion in our company, with a direct line to the senior management team.
Here are some of the ideas being implemented because of the D&I Council’s suggestions:
Everyone at NuServe now receives a birthday card.
On-site team meetings
Managers now meet with entire teams, instead of just Supervisors.
Monthly teams awards
We now give awards to our cleaning teams, as well as individuals.
Setting NuServe's D&I calendar
We acknowledge and create awareness for important days, such as Show Racism the Red Card Day in October
We send festive gifts to all our staff as a small token of gratitude during the holiday season.
We have established new messaging channels to facilitate operative-led communication.
Meet our D&I Council
Our D&I Council was formed in 2021, and council members meet monthly to brainstorm ways to make NuServe a better and more inclusive place to work.
Our members span across all departments of our business- from HR to our Supervisors. Collectively, the council overcomes issues on site and sets the agenda for our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion calendar and has a direct line to the senior management team.
Results from NuServe's D&I survey
A survey conducted with NuServe staff during the formation stage our our D&I council shed some light on how our employees feel about the quality of our existing Diversity and Inclusion initiatives. We used this insight to inform how the council is run.
- 66% said they feel like their perspective is listened to and included in decision making.
- 79% said they have a sense of belonging at NuServe.
- 82% May 2021 said they think NuServe cares about the diversity of their teams.
- 83% said they feel comfortable talking about their background & cultural experiences with their colleagues
- 84% said they feel NuServe believes their people can improve their talents and abilities.
- 85% said they their manager handles diversity matters appropriately & demonstrates a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
As a cleaning company with a Diversity and Inclusion ethos, we were pleased to see that many of our staff feel their background, culture, and heritage is welcomed at NuServe. We listened to feedback about how involved our teams feel in decision making, and made operative feedback a core feature of how our council operates.